Saturday 28 July 2012

Screen wash upgrade

For a long while, my friends dad wanted to make something for my car. He's a welder and was keen to help out with either the exhaust, roll bars or anything.

So as the plastic washer bottle was one of the things I didn't like the look of, I drew something up to match the coolant tank.

I was really impressed with what he made!
A curved mounting bracket is a must, as unlike the coolant tank bracket, this doesn't rely on the big hoses to hold it in place along with 2 screws and would wobble on a flat bracket by its self.

One problem was how to see the fluid level? Most places only stocked the black or grey plastic type. But I tracked down some plated swivel push fittings that take normal washer hose through my local hydraulics supplier.

When I drew you the tank, I requested thick wall sides as I was going to tap a thread in there but want sure which side. Only downside is the tank is a bit on the heavy side...
Drilled and tapped the 5mm stainless slowly and carefully not to brake the tap in there! 1/8 BSP I think.

On first fit, there isn't much hose there for a good visual level check, hmmm.....

This way looks quite sleek
I had to get GD to tweak the bracket a bit as my friends dad was unable to final fit due to ill health.

As the filler cap is the same as any rad cap, I had to remove the bottom sealing rubber to allow air in through the overflow tube during use.

All fitted and looks the bollox!
 Polished filler caps are from Summit Racing.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Nice one, that looks brilliant! Still working out what to do for mine.

Steve Hughes said...

Steve,

Hope you don't mind but I've put a link to your build blog on my GD Cobra build website. I do user your website and I am about half way through my build. I will remove the link if you are not okay with this.

Thanks

Steve Hughes
Knaresborough.
N. Yorkshire

http://www.wizardofwales.com/wowkcb/en/