Friday, 26 March 2010

A little taster.

Today I had a day off so decided to thank my mate for all his help by inviting him over for its first hot run. Cooling filled up and all systems checked.


video

Sunday, 21 March 2010

Engine Started.

Been busy with work so its time for an update! The new Ignition amplifier came last week. With all the spark plugs taken out and touching the block, I got a spark on all of the plugs!

Fitted them all back in and tried to start it. It fired up but only briefly. sounded like one turn or while starting. Tried again, it cought with the starter engaged but died instantly when let go of starter. The next thing this could be is the injectors as the have been sitting around for ages and could be bunged up. Found a place close by that would do a check and service for £200.

Before I pulled them out, I managed to get one of the local club members who is hot on wiring to have a look, as there were a few other issues I needed to get my head round.
Graham had a quick listen and said "That sounds electrical not fuel" Turned out, I had wired the Distributor + from the starter button and not and ignition live. DOH!!!

With this little error fixed, we gave it another go..... RRRROAR....
OH MY GOD! WHAT A SOUND!!!!!

Only ran for a few seconds as I had no cooling cos I wasn't expecting it to work. But wow, what a feeling.

So grateful for his help.

Thanks to Chedz.

Friday, 12 March 2010

Engine start?

Well I thought I'd brave it today. Bought some fuel, primed the pump as per the instructions.... cranked it over a few times, but nothing.
Smell of fuel from exhaust, plugs are wet, but no spark from ignition.

Checked all the plugs n wiring, all looks ok.

I remember the first Dyno attempt I went to, we had the same thing, and I remembered how Ken and Robert went about hunting for the problem. I checked continuity on connectors and went to check the hall effect sensor wiring in the distributor cap and then saw this.

This probably happened while it was being stored as it isn't new, so I re soldered them and put it all back together.
Tried to start it up again but still nothing.

Something I did notice when I first saw the broken wires was that the S was touching the + wire and now fear this could have damaged the Ignition Module.
One of the issues at the 1st dyno was the Ignition Amplifier Module, like now, no spark.
I went onto the Edelbrock forum and had a little read.....
Found some posts about checking pins and voltages.

The output voltage needs to be over 10.5V during turnover or there will be no spark.

Fingers crossed that's the problem. New bit ordered from the states.

Monday, 8 March 2010

Engine start wiring.

Many thanks to Denis for sending me a helpful & easy to follow wiring diagram for my temp dash. With his permission I have posted it up.All I needed was a relay and a battery. Went and ordered one of these and a CTEK charger. Not cheap but should do the job :P

Got most of the wiring done, just need to figure out the rev counter and a couple of non essential bits.
Starter works!

Could we see it roar into life this week?

Saturday, 6 March 2010

More fuel lines

Finally got a right angle 1/4npt to Jic -6 adaptor.
Bought a meter of -6 hose.
Cutting this hose isn't easy and as they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. My method was to use insulation tape and a cutting wheel. Tape stops a lot of fraying while cutting and it wont end up looking like Boris Johnson's hair do.
Linked up the return feed.With the front section of fuel lines linked up I temp fitted a link from the pump to the main line.

Friday, 5 March 2010

Fuel filter.

As I'm looking at fitting the pump and filter to the Euro mounting points,
I immediately spotted a problem with the bits I had. The body would foul the filter as its 3" diameter. After hours of trying to find a suitable pre pump filter and many visits to places that ask what vehicle is it for, lol.
GD gave me some opinters on what to try and find and I found a place local to me that is a supplier of FSE Motorsport filters and gave them a call. They are only a warehouse but were willing to see me with some notice in advance.

The chap there was really helpful. Handed over some cash and got one of these. Nice quality feel to it.
Sticking with paper filters as the tank is new and will have some bits that it should stop.

Just need to make a heat shield from the exhaust

Solved.

Monday, 1 March 2010

Temp Dash

Decided to start mocking up a dash to get ready for the first start.

I drilled and fitted the tunnel plate,

attacked a bit of MDF with a few dials, fuse box and the basics.
Just need to work out what and how to wire it up correctly. May need to add bits as I figure it out.

Front exhaust fitted

Now I got the elbow back with the O2 sensor nut welded in, I went ahead and fitted the front half. Wont do the back till the body is on as the boot supports the rest of it.

All sealed with silicon gasket stuff.

One step closer to starting her up