Thursday 26 March 2009

Alternator Refurb

Keeping busy.The alternator had seen better days, so I decided to strip it down and clean it up.
Lucky I realised that the coil is fixed/screwed to the back casting and the rotor slides out from the bearing housing by holding the rotor shaft and tapping the coil edge down with a rubber mallet.

Spent a couple of hours with a Dremel and wire wheels. Unfortunately the wires on my wheel were more at home flying off into my jumper and itching/prickling me. lol
Shame, as it didn't make much of an improvement on the castings, only took off some of the surface corrosion but left some areas needing shot blasting. As it is cast Ally I decided against that route.
So I cleaned them up as best I could with break cleaner and sprayed them sliver.

The centre coil was cleaned up with a flap wheel, masked and painted black.
Looks a lot better.
When re assembling there is a small hole to insert a small allen key to hold back the brushes when re fitting the rotor into its bearing housing.
Now I just need to find where to get a new pulley.

2 comments:

STR said...

Wooo-Hooo..... No bits left over... Cool!

Steve said...

None that you can see in the pictures! ;) lol