Monday 12 October 2009

The waiting game

Not much to report. Its been rather uneventful yet stressful at the same time. I managed to find a set of wheels off a Mercedes that I hope will fit while I'm still building. Cheap off ebay.
I couldn't find Ford Granada/Scorpio wheels anywhere and ideally they needed to be 16".
Also cleaned the garage floor that was coated in white rubbing compound and polish spray.

Next bit of fun is finding what kind of clutch slave cylinder I need to enable me to fit the gearbox to the engine ready to slip into the chassis. I have a rather unique set-up apparently, (McLeod Bellhousing, street twin clutch, Tremec TKO600 Gear box all fitted to a Chevy)
There isnt a slave designed to fit my bell housing that I could find apart from an internal one that's got a reputation for leaking. I have spent the last 4 weeks searching google, McLeod forums, speaking to UK V8 engine suppliers and posted loads on the cobra club. Lots of help from the club, but unfortunately the slave I was advised to use (Wilwood) is a pull type, opposite to what I need (Push type). This would mean a new clutch fork but these don't fit my bell housing meaning a new bellhousing and they aren't cheap..... So a bit of hair pulling. I had the twin clutch shimmed and checked by Realsteel as it was in a box with bits all mixed up.

I have just spoken to Andy at GD, and he informed me that my build is a bit behind due to steel supplier problems. I did tell them when I ordered that it was no real rush, so this little delay isn't a problem. I have waited 3 years so a few weeks aint gonna kill me. I'm going to pop up to see them next week and Andy said that I should bring my bellhousing with me. Hope he can help. I'm going to take a wheel as well just to check it'll fit ok.

Should really start to make room in the garage.

No comments: