Monday 26 October 2009

Bits I didnt know about.

As you may have read, I was trying to find what slave cylinder I needed.
Finding out that a chap close to me, Nick with a Dax, has a very similar setup. So i got in contact and popped over to stick my head in his bonnet for a good nose. He was hugely helpful and has even found a template he made for the slave bracket. I borrowed his engine lifting plate again, and also his modified stand to allow the fitting of the gearbox safely.... well.... you'll see.

I then found out what else I would need. I have spent the last few weeks finding out exactly what bits to get and where from. A pilot bearing is needed to fit the gearbox as this locates the gearbox shaft central to the engine crank, but as I have a Chevy Engine The standard pilot bearings take Chevy gearboxes. Mine is a ford gearbox, Tremec TKO600.
Speaking to a few companies here in the UK, not many were able to help as it wasn't the "norm".
Was getting rather fed up with the attitude that unless it was bought from them or I wanted to buy new, there was little they could help. The club was really helpful, I managed to speak to someone who asked me to take some measurements and then told me a part number that I'd need. For those in the same boat, Chevy to Ford Pilot Bearing = Lakewood 15975.

Edit: Here it is.
Now I needed to get bits together to make the clutch work. This needs a Clutch release bearing and one to fit my fork. As I have a McLeod Bell housing with a ford gear box, no one was able to give me any precise advice again...... yawn.... so it was a phone call to McLeod in the US. Once I had explained what I needed they gave me some item numbers. Woohoo. It turned out that a standard Ford TKO or T5 release bearing would work. As for the clutch fork, I ordered a new one as the one I have is a little damaged.

Edit: New ones arrived.

I will speak to GD when I pop up, as they might have something for the clutch slave issue.

Next I will need to find/borrow a Dial Gauge (DTI) to check the bell housing is 100% central to the crank shaft and in line with the flywheel.

Good job, I'm not waiting on fitting the engine.
Will put up some pics when the parts get here.

No comments: