Friday 12 February 2010

Prop shaft shoehorned in.

With the help of my pal Kev, we got the engine linked to the back wheels.
But before we did I luckily remembered to check the gearbox ratio. (good to know when calibrating the speedo)
This meant going from 1st gear through to 5th and counting the turns of the engine to one revolution of the output shaft.
The spark plugs out, and the crank pulley marked, I marked the output shaft and counted as I cranked it over carefully with a socket ratchet.

Now came the fun part, the prop shaft slides in about 5 inches into the gearbox (Prop shaft is 5" longer than the gap it fills). but getting the best angle even with the UJ's we found couldn't be achieved from the sides, top or bottom.
The only way I could see was to get the whole lot in the tunnel and over the diff, then feed it forwards into the gearbox.

The brake union had to come off and the bake pipes carefully moved. The flat side of the UJ had to step over the diff to get enough clearance.
Once we got this far the rest was easy and it slotted in prefectly with 6mm tolerance on the shaft.
Another concern was the fuel lines. Before I had the gearbox mounting plate, the bolts were really close as I was resting the box on a wedge to have the rubber mount in the right place flush with the bottom. GD told me I needed 5mm clearance round the gearbox to allow for movement when under torque. Tried to dremel some of the bolt head to give a bit more room. Luckily the gearbox droped a little when the wedge was removed as it sat on the rubber mount. Phew. Sure is tight in there!

No comments: