Tuesday 27 April 2010

Roll bars, Part 2

Time to tackle the rear leg. I made a template with some mdf with the leg holes sawed out and the rear marked and drilled 6mm for the hole saw pilot hole. Placed in the boot , marked and sawed out the hole.
I made another template the same but with the 3rd leg hole sawed also. The rear leg is smaller than the 2 main legs! Good to remember before attacking theseThis acted as a jig for the rear leg hole. But only for the pilot hole as I needed one hole size up from the template for clearance like with the main legs.
Also put some gaffer tape round the edge of the hole saw just in case it catches the body as it cuts through. Lucky I did cos exactly that happened as I did this hole.

Hmm....How did that happen?
I worked out that I had flipped the template thinking I had to, cos the roll bar was reversed. Silly mistake but not a biggie. Its about 6mm off. As I have to leave 5mm gap all the way round with the aid of scribing with a 10mm washer, this little error wont show luckily.
Did the repeated the procedure for the other roll bar, less the flipping of the template, but the other rear leg was out slightly too . Never mind, Its not an easy job, but they are all ok now and look great.I will give it one more final full polish before I fit them for good and before I fit the interior. Shame as I got to work the next 3 days but I need to. :P

2 comments:

Cobra Rob said...

Your blasting through the build :) Cobra is looking really well. Think I need to make an MDF template as well, does a good job. Was looking at your fog and reverse lights this evening, how did you work out where to fit them as it a job I have in my head to do soon.

Steve said...

Cheers Rob, Not doing bad yourself.

As I'm fitting rear nudge bars, they were marked for me. I just measured between them and the boot centred up nicely, then went in the middle between the nudge bars and boot light distances. Height was set visually to the curve of the housings and measured/matched down from boot lip the same both sided.