Wednesday 11 February 2009

Screen support

Now that the dash bars are welded and painted, I can fit the screen stays as these are secured along with the bars.
As the holes are quite big, they need to be sealed, what better than silicone sealant. Back to the loft and the dreaded DIY boxes... noooooo.

Before sealing, I had to fit the screen again to finalise the position, Climbing into the car on a stand carrying a £500 bit of glass and trying to fit it on my own is not a good idea so help from the wife or friends is a good idea. Wife was at work and I couldn't wait. There are 3 critical measurement to get set. the centre of screen to middle of rear cockpit edge has to be 930mm and the screen corners to door edge return must be the same as one another. This set, the pillar fixing bolts were tightened and the screen removed.As they were drying I fitted the escutcheons. These I felt needed a bit of a curve to follow the body shape. Not easy to bend 2mm stainless evenly. But got it close.
Silicone..... I always have a battle with this stuff, and I end up being covered it it. God knows why.

No comments: