Monday 23 February 2009

Steering wiring

Many thanks to Simon and others on the CRC for all the help de-cyphering the stalk wiring and the help to include non standard mods.

Like Simon, I opted to go for the 3 wipe on jets that required a relay in-line. Having only basic knowledge on normal electronic board relays I was a little lost on what did what and how to wire it in. A friend suggested google wiki, never heard of it but its pretty good and full of all sorts of info.
Once the correct spade connectors came from eBay I set about getting the closest coloured wires I could to help final connecting. Wires were thicker than the ones on the loom so they should be suitable.

The steering unit had a couple of brackets either side that are hot used, but the relay fits perfectly into.Just awaiting some more spades to complete.

Now as standard the Horn is a switched +V. This needed to be swapped to a switched earth on the relay side when using the Vectra stalks for the horn.

Guess where the relays are and what did I recently fit right next to them...?
Bo**ox! LOL
Yep, On my back upside down in the footwell. I managed to do the mod without removing anything luckily as the relays are fixed with drill encouraged screws! There was JUST enough room for the crimpers! A right fiddle.

Must rename my blog to "Building arse about face"

No comments: