Friday 21 May 2010

Dash Done

Wiring the instruments was fairly straight forward.
Some may have noticed I have not cut out the glove box yet as I'm going to see weather I want it or not. Fitted a blanking plate for now, made from ally that I would use as a door if and when I decide to do it. The glove box was then fitted over the plate and the dash installed.
With the Leather piping now on, I had to elongate the mounting hole downwards to accommodate the larger curve caused by the piping.

Everything was plugged up one by one and tested. First thing I noticed was the Ignition was intermittent when in position. Got it to work for the test though. Next I noticed the main beams need to be looped from the stalk to the dash switch for the dipped lights to work. The washer motor needs to be a switched earth and some wires needed to be bridged.
Next on the test, was the wipers. (Don't fit the actual wipers yet till you know all is working in the right direction! Don't want them wiping the wrong way across your bonnet.) Seeing the spindles turning is good enough.

I must have the wrong 3 wipe intermittent relay or its buggered cos as soon as the ignition went on, the wipers started and wouldn't turn off. So I bypassed the relay and took it out. Need to find the right one.
With it being wired up as per GD's wiring instructions (GD don't use the intermittent relay mod) it worked fine and parked when stopped. Only thing is, it stopped in the opposite position. Should park facing right. Job for tomorrow.

Everything else worked fine.

No comments: