Thursday 13 May 2010

Dash Leather, Part 2

Did a lot of homework last night, reading blogs, looking at other builds and how best to make the holes in the leather. One job you really don't want to screw up or rush. (This is how I did it, no idea if it's the right way though.)

I decided to start cutting about 3-4mm in from the hole edge, sliced in 4 then 8th then 16th's.
This gave me plenty of tags to pull back without showing noticeable tug lines next to the dials. I tried 12th's on the smaller one of the holes but they didn't look as neat, so divided those up too.
I would highly recommend Evositck Timebond over contact adhesive for the reason that its not stringy and gives you a bit of room for adjustment. However, I should have glued each dial one by one as by the time I got to the 3rd hole it had dried. Not to worry, a bit of fresh stuff softened the dried bit up.

Next was to glue them back. I didn't want to pull one side more than the other and risk creating creases, so I used a dial to send the tags equally through.
Kept checking the front as it needed a bit more tension in some areas. All depends on the look you want.
The piping was then glued along the top. The glue didn't like adjustment as it peeled off the vinyl piping when partially set. Should be fine once in position and fully cured. Trimed "V"s into it round curves.

The lamp and switch holes I cut out from behind and trimmed up with the lamp end pushing through from the back. Kept the hole snug.Added some piping to the steering hole.Rather pleased how it came out. Not bad for a first timer. Took all day though. :P

2 comments:

Cobra Rob said...

Nice job its amazing how long it takes to do some jobs, all good fun though :)

Andy said...

Nice one Steve!